Computer science opens worlds of opportunity for young Iowans to improve how they work and live. Computer Science Education Week (CSEdWeek) takes place December 5-11, 2022, and is an annual call to action to provide American youth with resources to learn more about computer science, explore the opportunities that exist and encourage participation in computer science education.
A variety of resources, panel opportunities and activities are available for anyone interested in learning more about computer science at www.iowastem.org/csedweek. These resources can be utilized to set up unique experiences and events and are customizable for a variety of settings, including classrooms, libraries, businesses, at home, among others.
Scheduled activities for Computer Science Education Week include:
- December 5
- 9 a.m. – Panel for Secondary Students: “What it’s like to be a computer scientist”
- 10 a.m. – Panel for Non-Traditional Learning Environments (Librarians, After-School Providers, Homeschool, 4-H): “How to include CS in your programming”
- 4 p.m. – Panel for Classroom Educators: “How to grow CS in your building and/or district”
- December 6
- 3:30 p.m. – Panel for School Counselors: “How to impact and support all learners with CS”
- 4:30 p.m. – Panel for School Administrators: “NOT one more thing! How to build a CS culture, incorporate into core content, support implementing your K-12 CS plan”
- December 7
- 11 a.m. – Panel for Business and Community Partners: “How to support CS efforts in your community, school districts and/or building”
- December 8
- 6:30 p.m. – Virtual Family Coding Night
- December 9
- 12:30 p.m. – Nutcracker Ballet + STEM at Stephens Auditorium, 1900 Center Drive, Ames, IA 50011
Learn more about CSEdWeek activities by visiting www.iowastem.org/csedweek. Follow on social media using the hashtag #CS4IA to see Computer Science Education Week events happening throughout Iowa.