Iowa STEM Teacher Externship Application
Information before you apply to be an Iowa STEM Teacher Extern
The application for summer 2024 Externships is now open.
The goal of an Iowa STEM Teacher Externship is to help teachers better connect the content and skills they teach to the needs of Iowa's STEM workplaces throughout our state.
- Iowa STEM Teacher Externships are geared toward secondary STEM educators.
- STEM Teacher Externs are expected to work for 200 - 240 hours for the extern host, typically starting in June and ending in July for 5-6 full-time weeks. STEM Teacher Extern hosts are often flexible in adjusting work schedules to meet the needs of their STEM teacher externs.
- Iowa STEM Teacher Externs earn a stipend of up to $5,000 and three graduate credits through the University of Northern Iowa's Continuing Education program paid for by the Iowa STEM Teacher Externships Program.
Iowa STEM Teacher Externship matches will be made based on workplace needs and teacher qualifications, skills and interests. Iowa STEM Teacher Externship placements will begin in March and will extend into the spring. Pre-service teachers are eligible to apply for the STEM Teacher Externship Program.
Please note: Submission of an application does not guarantee a summer STEM Teacher Externship placement.
TIPS FOR COMPLETING AN APPLICATION:
- First time users will need to set up an account. Instructions can be found here.
- Search for the STEM TEACHER EXTERNSHIP application.
- Additional instructions on starting and finding a funding opportunity check out instructions here.