The application period is quickly approaching for the STEM BEST + HD (High-Demand) Program. Beginning October 3, public and non-public K-12 school districts and school buildings can submit an application to launch or expand a business partnership model to provide students with career-linked learning experiences. The program emphasizes the exploration and development of high-demand skills that allows students to experience the industry or business environment firsthand and offers an introduction to career opportunities.
The STEM BEST + HD Program encourages teachers and industry professionals to develop a work-based learning model that incorporates STEM subjects like mathematics and science with experiential learning opportunities to emphasize the necessary high-demand skills needed for post-secondary success, including:
- innovative thinking and analysis;
- creativity, originality and initiative;
- complex communication and collaboration;
- active learning through authentic experience;
- resilience, stress tolerance and flexibility;
- reasoning, problem-solving and ideation.
These high-demand skills align with the Iowa Core Universal Constructs and create opportunities for students to become leaders and innovators of a future-focused Iowa.
The application is available to Iowa public and non-public school districts and school buildings serving students in grades K-12. The deadline for submitting applications is December 14, 2022. The STEM BEST + HD Program implementation spans across 18 months. The awards can be used for:
- Facility upgrades;
- Purchase of industry grade equipment;
- Acquiring additional space;
- Time for program planning with partners;
- Travel needs;
- Integrating curriculum into existing courses;
- Aligning learning with workplace needs;
- Professional development for teachers, students and community partners.
For more information on the STEM BEST + HD Program or to access the application, please visit https://iowastem.org/STEMBEST.